Thursday, March 10, 2005

Draft Dreams

Hey remember that great 2000 draft when the Mavs had three 1st round picks(#'s 12, 13, and 22). Remember how happy everyone was when they drafted Etan Thomas, Courtney Alexander, and Donnell Harvey. I know I was, and I know the media was. Turns out wasn't that great of a draft after all.

Etan Thomas - Drafted #12 - Career stats PPG 6.5, RPG 5.2, AST 0.4, BLK 1.1
Courtney Alexander - Drafted #13 - Career stats PPG 9.0, RPG 2.2, AST 1.2
Donnell Harvey - Drafted #22 - Career stats PPG 5.6, RPG 4.0, AST 0.8, BLK 0.39

Wow, overwhelming, huh. Now like I said before I was happy with this draft. Not as happy as most of the local media was. I thought they would be really nice bench guys. I thought Alexander would provide scoring while Thomas and Harvey would give us defense and boards. Guess we were all wrong.

Just for a giggle lets look at some guys they could have taken.

Drafted Team
16 SAC Hidayet Turkoglu
17 SEA Desmond Mason
18 LAC Quentin Richardson
19 CHA Jamaal Magloire
21 TOR Morris Peterson
30 LAC Marko Jaric
43 MIL Michael Redd (passed on him 4 times!! Eddie Najera was drafted 38)
44 DET Brian Cardinal

My point isn't to rip the Mavs too much, but I do think that with all those picks they should have been able to get somebody who could play. At the time I really thought that they should take Quentin Richardson instead of Alexander.


Etan Thomas grabbing a rare rebound

No comments: